Ancestors of the Lennart and Roslind Glover Pearson Family

Ancestors of the Lennart and Roslind Glover Pearson Family

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

George Glover's Mission

   
     When George was 52 years of age, August 1898, he received a letter from "Box B."  Everyone knew that Box B was the return address of  "The Church" and it was a letter calling him on a mission to Great Britain.  He kept a good journal, writing most every day and this is an incident from his journal.
     "We set sail for Southampton on the S.S.  Pennland on the 6th day of November abut 3:00 A.M. and I was taken with a very severe pain in the region of my lungs.  I never had such an attack before.  It appeared that I could not endure the pain much longer.  The doctor could not diagnose my complaint after sounding me with his instruments and the Elders also administered to me and was with me all the time I was in severe pain which was about 11 hours.  It became so serious that I apparently could not stand it any longer as it was very difficult for me to obtain my breath so I gave the Elders my brother Albert Glover's address, Barnsley Sheffield, (England),as he was there upon a mission.  They were to send my valise and clothes to him and not bury me at sea which they promised to do with tears in their eyes, but all at once the pain left me and I fell into a deep sleep and the Elders thought I was dead, but they noticed me breathing and watched me for awhile knowing then that I was resting easy.  The sickness, however, left me very weak as I could scarcely walk.  I found out afterwards that I had a gall stone passing the liver.  However it was terrible."
     George had another attack eight months later which he records:  "Wednesday July 10, 1899:  This day will never be forgotten with me or with my cousins, Elizabeth Budge and her husband and daughters.  I expected a letter from home but I did not receive one.  I wrote a letter home and one to Bristol.  I gave out some tracts and had one gospel talk.  After dinner I started for Berry Hill, some 2 1/2-3 miles distance.  When about a mile away I was taken with a severe pain in the region of my stomach and the pain became more violent at every step I made.  I could scarcely walk the pain came on so sudden.  I found I could not walk back home to my cousins so I saw a gentleman's farm house some distance away.  The pain became so severe that I had to lay-down in the road.  The sun was very hot and I did not know how to get up.  I was in agonies of pain and the sweat rolled off me in streams.  I was alone.  I struggled and got up and walked a few rods and then lay down again upon the grass.  I thought I could not go much farther so I wrote my cousin's address in a book and put it upon the ground thinking perchance some one would find it if anything happened to me as I could not live long that way.  I prayed God to send me his angels to administer to me.  I struggled again upon my feet and with a determined will to reach the gentleman's house.  I at last reached it.  I knocked at the door, the lady came and was afraid at seeing me in that condition, so she called her husband and he told me to come in, and took me to a large parlor and told me to take an arm chair, but I could not sit down and he told me to lay upon the carpet.  His wife gave me some hot drinks and I ask them for some Cayenne Pepper and hot water.  They gave me it.  The gentleman hitched up his horse and cart, but it was some time before I could be moved.  So after I could stand a little upon my feet he drove me to my cousin's, Mrs. Budge.  He told my cousin that she had better get a doctor at once.  My cousin was in tears and I told them to put me to bed at once as the pain was very severe.  They became so alarmed that they wanted me to consent to send for a doctor, so I consented and my cousin Mr. Budge went to Ilminster, 4 miles distant, and the doctor a Mr. Munden came in 3/4 of an hour.  I, however, was suffering terrible.  He said that a gall stone was passing through my liver.  He told my cousin to put hot water bottles to my feet and hot flannels wrung out in hot water with turpentine to my bowels. He was afraid of heart failure as my pulse went to 42 per minute which he stated was about the lowest he ever saw and the person live.  I know that my mother who had been dead for some years was there upon the right side of my bed towards the foot, and another lady taller than my Mother was with her.  I had a very severe chill and as night came on I was a little delirious.  My Aunt Sarah Ann staid up with me all night.  But it was near morning when my cousin retired for a little rest.  My cousin Michael went to Ilminster for medicine upon his wheel.  The gentleman's name that took me in the house was Robert Pettord Rodwell near Ilminster and his goodhearted wife.
     Tuesday July 11th:  In the morning the doctor came to see me.  He stated that I had a very serious time of it, but encouraged me stating that I would soon be around again.  I felt very weak.  My relatives hearing of my sickness came from all directions to see me.  Mr. James Glover of Westport, my Uncle Joseph Rowswell, wife and daughter from Lopen 2 1/2 miles away and a cousin from Barrington.  My cousin Mrs. Budge brought up 2 letters for me, 1 from my wife and family and 1 from my brother Albert at West Jordan.  I was very glad to hear from my family and I thought if they could only see me in that weak condition I do not know what they would think.  Perhaps they would shed a few tears which would do no good however.  But my cousins shed many of them as also my aunt.  But I was glad that my family could not see me at that time.  I lost seven pounds of weight in flesh in the short time of about 8 hours, in pain."
George had a lot of relatives that he visited on his mission but none of them joined the gospel that I could tell from his journal.

Trials:  There were a lot but this is just one:  Thursday, Jan 26, 1899, Bristol England:  "We are having more stones thrown at our door today...A very large crowd gathered around the house and things looked rather serious for a time...The police arrived and the crowd dispersed.  After our meeting in the Hall about 2000 of the mob followed the Elders with about 27 police to protect us.  The police charged the mob with their clubs, hitting men and women and making the blood fly and bruising many of the mob.  Five were placed under arrest and under 5 pounds bonds to keep the peace for six months.  Special police on duty tonight at our lodgings."  This went on until Thursday Feb 2:  "This is my birthday, being 53 years of age and I thank my Heavenly Father for his many mercies and for the protection of my life until the present time.  I attended meeting at the Hall tonight where Pres. Owens lectured upon Utah and its relationship to the United States.  He stayed with myself and Elder Doney tonight.  The mobbing party are getting sobered down as we have no extra police on duty tonight, only the regular police so that we can feel easier."

Family:  George was concerned about his family, of course, he left his three children Joseph and Winifred who were twins age 22, and Rosalind age 20, to take care of the farm with his wife Harriet who was 9 months younger than George, age 52.  He records on Thursday May 11, 1899:  "...I received a letter from home stating that all was well with the exception of my daughter Rosalind and that she had been sick several months.  I pray that God will be merciful and restore her to her wanted health and strength."

     On Saturday, October 21st. George is reminiscent:  "One year ago I left Lehi and my loved ones for a mission to Great Britian, wishing my daughter Rosalind and Joseph, my son, goodbye.  My wife and Winnifred, my daughter, accompanied me to Salt Lake City, where we went to the Presidents office and bought my ticket and was set apart for my mission in the Temple Annex by Elder Seymour B. Young.  We returned to Murray and drove my buggy to my Brother-in-Law, and sister Sarah Ann where we stayed over night and the next day I wished my wife and Winnifred my daughter, goodbye they driving my rig to Lehi and my Brother-in-Law, Francis Cundick, drove me to Salt Lake City.  I wished my sister and family goodbye and I wished my Brother-in-Law goodbye upon the opposite corner of the South East corner of the Temple block, but I could not talk to him, I just shook hands but my tongue was still.  I waved him goodbye and took the D.R.W.R.R. train in the evening with the other Elders for our mission."

     October 26th.  "...I received a letter from home, Lehi.  My family was well...the threshers had threshed my grain, and free.  They would not take any toll- about 345 bushels.  Their names was A.J. Evans, John Woodhouse, Jr., Martin Bushman, Morgan Woodhouse, Moroni Royal.  I truly thank them and pray God to bless them for so doing." 

Trip HomeThursday Nov 22, 1900, Liverpool:  "After breakfast I left the Brethren at the Hotel as they was going to wait for the Hotel Wagon to convey them down to the pier but I preferred to walk as I wanted to see the City...at 11:00 a.m. our company got on board of the boat to take us to the ship 'New England', which was lying in the River Mersey...  We passed the inspection of the Doctor, and at 2:00 P.M. we had dinner on board of the ship, after which the vessel steamed to the Pier Head...waving hand and handkerchiefs to those on the pier, among whom was President Platte D. Lyman of the European Mission, and Fred G. Wright and hundreds of other people wishing their friends goodbye...The boat is a fine one, being 575 feet long and 59 feet wide, and 111,025 tons burden and 8600 Horsepower.  I enjoyed a fine supper and our boat going at fine speed.  There are 11 returning Elders, and 42 Saints emigrating to Utah, on board.  The vessel consumes 160 tons of coal per day."  He records some seasickness but a good voyage and arrived 9 days later apparently in Boston.

     Saturday December 1st:  "Dropped anchor at 9:00 A.M. and the Government Inspector and Immigration officials conducted a series of questions to the passengers on board.  Each passenger is required to have 30 dollars upon his person before landing, and the Saints was also questioned whether they believed in polygamy and many other questions as the Government Agent was prejudiced against the Saints and Elders...at 3:00 P.M. the Saints and Elders started to Buffalo over the Boston and Pittsburg and Main, and Nickel Plate Railroad..The distance from Boston to Buffalo is about 455 miles."

     They went from Buffalo to Bloomington, Illinois, to Kansas City to Pueblo, Denver, Grand Junction, Helper, Utah to Price, Thistle and Springville and Provo, arriving at Lehi at 11:45 A.M., "where I met my two daughters, Winifred and Rosalind in waiting for my arrival home.  It was a glad meeting.  Upon our way home we met Joseph, my son, coming to meet us upon his wheel, and upon my arrival home I met my wife at the door of the house.  It was a happy meeting and I thank our Heavenly Father for His protecting care and for the preservation of our lives to rejoice in meeting each other again.  I had been absent upon my mission...2 years and one month and 16 days, leaving home at Lehi October 21st, 1898, and arriving home at Lehi, Dec 6th, 1900."

No comments:

Post a Comment